Thursday, April 18, 2013

Princess & Me Rapunzel TLC Project #1

Hi everyone -
So awhile back, I got a Princess & Me Rapunzel on eBay for a super cheap price...as you can see why:
Her hair was a matted mess.  No tangles here....pure matting.  Ugh!  
She also came with no clothes (so all of these posts, except for the bottom few,  will be of a nude doll.)  
So, after deciding that there was no way I was going to just brush through her hair, I got a big tub of warm water, squirted some Suave shampoo into it, and scrubbed her hair up.  Once I'd rinsed it out, I dumped that tub of water out and then filled it back up. I put a generous glug of fabric softener in it (any kind of fabric softener will work!) and then let her hair to soak for a few minutes. Then, I got to work.
When you're doing this, you'll want to make sure to keep any moisture out of the doll's eyes, and also don't get any water in her wig base, if she has a wig - the results could be catastrophic for the poor doll!  
Moving on, I pulled and tugged and brushed through her hair until I got about halfway through her hair...
When this happened:
She broke my brush!  D:  Luckily enough, we have other brushes and combs that I was able to use.  
Moving on, after literally about 4 hours of work, I got through all of her hair!  Yay!!!
After that, I got some leave-in conditioner (I used Dove - works great for dolls and people!), got a decent-sized glob onto my hand, and then worked it through all of that hair.  After I brushed her hair out, she looked a LOT better. 
Next, I noticed that she had some slight marks on her vinyl body, so I got some baking soda, warm water, and a washcloth, made a paste on her marks, and then scrubbed most of them off.  Then, I tried to braid her hair in a similar manner as to how Rapunzel's hair got braided in the movie "Tangled":
After that, I scrounged around and found my American Girl Felicity "Meet" dress, and did a quick chain crochet with white yarn to make a little belt for her, to keep the dress on her (AG clothes are very loose on P&M dolls!)
And that's it!  She is such a beautiful doll.







No comments:

Post a Comment