Thursday, August 29, 2013

The Art of Brave review. FINALLY!

Hey everyone!!  So so so sorry it's been so long since I said I'd have this up!  :(  But without further ado, here is is! 
The Art of Brave is a very good book, well worth the $25 Amazon is asking for it.  I would reccomend it to any Brave fan!!
 
 

The front of the dust cover. 


The back of the dust cover.


On the inside, the actual cover of the book is a very pale grayish-blue with the DunBroch clan emblem (coat of arms?  Whatever it's called...my mind drew a blank!) on it. 




The first page


The page giving credit to who did the foreword, who wrote the book, etc.  I LOVE the concept art on this page!


It has a foreword, "Setting the Arrow", which, if I remember correctly, is written by Brenda Chapman, who was the director of Brave.  It has the backstory to what inspired the movie. 


"Gathering the Clan"


"Wind, Weather, and Ruins" includes information on the environment of Scotland. 

 
I LOVED this chapter.  It includes some awesome Scotland landscape pictures that were taken for the movie.  More landscape pictures are scattered throughout the whole book. 


The next chapter, "Kith, Kin, and Bears" includes concept art and info on the characters. 
There are plenty of Merida concept art photos. 


Like this page:  for some reason, I love the drawing on the far left, the one with her in her light blue dress.  I can relate to that expression sometimes!



Elinor gets a few pages, too.  I love this picture of Merida with Mum-Bear. 


And Fergus gets a spotlight, too...can't forget him! 


Hubert, Harris, and Hamish all get a spotlight...a small spotlight, but a spotlight nonetheless. 


And Angus!!  His concept art is soooo beautiful.  I love the drawing of Merida kissing Angus's nose.  =]





The wisps, the witch, Mor'du, and the Macintosh, Dingwall, and MacGuffin clans all have some concept art as well. 


"Stalking the Bear"


Also, this book has a LOT of storyboards.  There are just pages and pages and pages..and pages...and pages (Okay, I'll stop now!) of storyboards.  I'm not exactly a huge fan of the storyboards; I'd prefer insight into the movie and concept art over storyboards, but they're interesting, too.  (:

"Kith, Kin, and Bears"  actually proceeds "Wind, Weather, and Ruins", but Blogger decided to be weird and upload it next to the last...and I couldn't get it to cooperate and move it, or put it where it needed to be at! :(  Sorry...


And the last page. 
 
 
That's just about it...I really like this book, but I'd give it a 4 out of a 5, basically because it's mostly storyboards, and not concept art and reading :P  Regardless, if you're on the fence about getting this book, I'd reccomend it! (: 

Hope you guys enjoyed this, and once more, I am so SO sorry I didn't get this up 'til now! Hope you enjoyed it, after all the waiting you all had to do before I got it up xD...
On that note, what do you think about The Art of Brave?  Do you have any 'The Art of' books?  If you do, what do you think about them?  I love to hear from people, and I don't bite, so feel free to drop a comment! :P 

1 comment: